Some of us in the content marketing world might say that headline creation is the hardest part of our job. And while that probably isn't totally true, all of the time, it can at least feel that way sometimes. Headline generation is one of the most difficult facets of content marketing. Fitting in everything about your piece--what it's going to address, how it's going to address it, and why it's unique and useful to the reader--all in one short phrase, or roughly five to ten words, is a challenge, at the least. Thankfully, the Internet has spoken yet again, and gifted us with a series of quick, easy, highly operational headline generators, making the headline writing part of our job a whole lot easier.
There are a lot of these out there for our use, but they’re not all great. That’s why we’ve done the research for you... testing out tons of headline generators, and choosing the best of the best. Here’s a list of the five most effective, and even fun, headline generators.
- We have to start with the best (and we're not being too biased, promise!), that being HubSpot's Blog Topic Generator. We know what you're thinking: this isn't supposed to be about blog topics...? And you're right, mostly. But HubSpot's essential crossbreed between headline generator and topic generator is truly the cream of the crop. It allows you to fill in the available fields (up to 3), with the nouns that your piece is about. Using an algorithm, the site spits out a choice of 5 different blog headlines/topics. So whether you need an idea, or you need a headline STAT, HubSpot has got you covered.
- The Kickass Headline Generator is true to its name, and truly kickass. Their slogan, "write engaging titles like a boss," is true to form--you'll see. The website gives you the opportunity to choose what kind of piece you've created, including: Numbered Lists, How To, Explanatory/Why, Strong/Controversial, Fun/Playful, or DIY Headline Formula tab." Choose the one that fits your piece best and click. The page will bring you to a topic, desired outcome, undesirable outcome, and points in content page.
If you're a little confused, no worries, we've provided a link to this page here so you can better see exactly what we’re talking about! The generator gives its user a number of options for headlines based on a less tricky algorithm than HubSpot’s—you see the way their "brain" is working right there as it breaks it down on the page. This one is very, very cool indeed.
- Portent's Content Idea Generator takes a less standardized approach at headline creation, but it's as effective and fun as any of the others. Simply enter your subject into the white box, hit enter, and see what Portent and the gang come up with. To show you just how fun this one is, we'll give you an example. We typed in the simple word "marketing" into the generator, and out spat "It Did What? 7 Secrets About Marketing." You can try again if you're not satisfied for the given headline by clicking the rounded arrow next to your original word (on our second try, we got "Why Marketing is More Tempting than a Cinnabon"). So, Portent's Content Idea Generator may not give you exactly what you're looking for, but we've used this one a bunch, and it never fails to inspire.
- By choosing whether your inputted word is a noun or verb, and whether you'd like the title to appear in title case, sentence case, or all caps, Tweak Your Biz Title Generator covers all the bases. Using the same super-simple example word as before, marketing, we were presented with a list of over 300 title possibilities. Yes, you read that right: over 300 (we had to stop counting there were so many). Tweak Your Biz splits up their potential titles into 13 subgroups, like Lists, How To, Secrets, Snark, and Motivation… and they're not just filler titles, either. They're downright smart, and will absolutely help you on your headline hunt.
- SEOPressors's Blog Title Generator presents users with endless suggestions using--you guessed it—your very own keyword(s). It asks you to type in your keyword and then describe it using a dropdown menu. When we tried "content marketing" and chose "is an industry" from the 7 description dropdown options, we got some really awesome titles, including “Seven Ways To Achieve Your Goals In Content Marketing Faster” (you can probably expect that blog by us soon enough)!
The fact that you can input the exact topic of your piece—even down to its keywords—into these headline generators makes them that much more effective… and that’s what we’re all trying for, right? Efficacy (while keeping us sane and saving us a whole lot of time!) So while many writers likely don’t love the thought of using an online aid to create their pieces’, trust us: it’s worth it, especially if you’re stuck. Try one of these before you knock it; they’re all equally easy and valuable, and will help you be truly successful. You won’t be disappointed!
Can-Do Ideas is an Inbound Marketing agency specializing in Digital Marketing and Inbound Sales. We are located in New York City and Connecticut.